Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Top 10 # 4: TV and Movie Speeches


(Highlight last 8 speeches to read) Speech! Speech!I started thinking after seeing, the Doctor Who episode, Rings of Akhaten, I thought about the best fictional TV and movie speeches ever made and acted. I have comprised my list into the top ten speeches of all time:
Topping the list is, of course is:
10. (tie) The Rings of Akhaten speech(Doctor Who)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irpmtTbvXwM "Wake Up" Song in the background.- Okay, that's what I'll do, I will tell you a story. Can you hear them? All these people who lived in terror of you and your judgement. All these people whose ancestors devoted themselves, sacrificed themselves to you. Can you hear them singing? Oh you like to think you're a god, but you're not a god, you're just a parasite, eat now, with jealousy and envy, and longing for the lives of others, you feed on them,on the memory of love, and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow. So, so, come on then, take mine, take my memories. And I hope you've got a big appetite, because I have lived a long life and I have seen a few things. I walked away from the last great Time War, I marked the passing of the Time Lords, I saw the birth of the universe and I watched as time ran out. Moment by moment until nothing remained, no time, no space, just me! I walked in universes where the laws of physics weren't devised by the mind of a mad man. And I watched universes freeze and creations burn. I have seen things you wouldn't believe, I have lost things you will never understand. And I know things, secrets that must never be told, knowledge that must never be spoken, knowledge that will make parasite gods blaze. So, come on then, take it, take it all, baby!!! Have it, you have it all!!!-Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor
10.(tie) The Pandorica Opens(Doctor Who)-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xjnht1k8M7w#at=47- Hello Stonehenge! Who takes the Pandorica, takes the universe ,but bad news everyone, cause guess who. Ha. Listen you lot you're all whizzing about. It's really very distracting. Could you all just stay still for just a minute because I am talking! Now the question of the hour is: Who's got the Pandorica? Answer: I do. Next question: Who's coming to take it from me? Come on! Look at me! No plan, no backup, no weapons worth a damn! Oh, and something else I don't have anything to lose. So if you're sitting up there in your silly little spaceships with all your silly little guns and you've got any plans on taking the Pandorica, tonight. Just remember who's standing in your way. Remember every black day I ever stopped you. And then,and then, do the smart thing. Let somebody else try first.-Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor
8. Armageddon- 14 Brave Souls speech- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_sUlupV48I-I address you tonight not as the President of the United States, not as the leader of a country, but as a citizen of humanity. We are faced with the very gravest of challenges. The Bible calls this day "Armageddon"-the end of all things. And yet, for the first time in the history of the planet, a species has the technology to prevent its own extinction. All of you praying with us need to know that everything that can be done to prevent this disaster is being called into service. The human thirst for excellence, knowledge, every step up the ladder of science, every adventurous reach into space, all of our combined modern technologies and imaginations, even the wars that we've fought have provided us the tools to wage this terrible battle. Through all the chaos that is our history, through all of the wrongs and the discord, through all of the pain and suffering, through all of our times, there is one thing that has nourished our souls, and elevated our species above its origins, and that is our courage.The dreams of an entire planet are focused tonight on those fourteen brave souls traveling into the heavens. And may we all, citizens the world over, see these events through. God speed, and good luck to you.- Stanley Anderson as the President
7. Animal House- Bluto's inspirational speech- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE-
     Bluto: Christ! Seven years of college down the drain. Might as well join the fucking peace corps!

Pinto: My mother's gonna kill me.
Hoover: I knew it. I knew it, I knew it, I knew it.
Flounder: Can't believe I threw up in front of Dean Wormer.
Boon[puts his arm around Flounder] Face it, Kent. You threw up on Dean Wormer.
[D-Day walks in, supporting an injured Otter.]
D-Day: Move. Move it.
Boon: Damn.
[Boon walks over and helps D-Day support Otter.]
Boon: I got ya. I got ya.
[Otter moans as he, Boon, and D-Day sit on the couch.]
Boon: Jesus Christ! What happened? You look grotesque.
Otter: Well, some of the Omegas did a little dance on my face.
Bluto: Who was it?
Otter: Uh, it was Greggy and Dougy and some of the other Hitler youth.
Boon: Why? What ya do?
Otter: I don't know. They're just animals, I guess. [Otter looks around.] Looks like I missed something.
Boon: Yeah, you did. We're all officially kicked out of school. Wormer just got our grades.
Otter: They kicked us out of school? Huh?! That makes sense.
Bluto[standing up] HEY!! What's this lying around shit?!
Stork: Well, what the hell we s'posed to do, you moron?!
D-Day: War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one.
Bluto: What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it. He's rolling.
Bluto: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough . . . the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! C'mon! [He runs out of the room screaming but then returns.]
Bluto: What the fuck happened to the Delta I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh?! This could be the greatest night of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst! "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Bluto, we might get in trouble." Well, JUST KISS MY ASS FROM NOW ON!!! Not me! I'm not gonna take this! Wormer, he's a dead man! Marmalard, DEAD! Niedermeyer—
Otter: Dead! Bluto's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. [Otter stands up.] We gotta take these bastards. Now, we could fight 'em with conventional weapons. That could take years and cost millions of lives. Oh no. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.
Bluto: And we're just the guys to do it.
[Boon and D-Day stand.]
Boon: Let's do it.
Bluto: Let's do it!
[Everybody cheers and starts running out of the room, with Bluto still standing there.]
Bluto: Go! Go! Go! Go! Go!
[Bluto runs out with them.]-John Belushi as Bluto
6. The Shawshank Redemption- Get busy living or get busy dying/ Rehabilitated- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkzc983aE0-
Andy: My wife used to say I'm a hard man to know. Like a closed book. Complained about it all the time. She was beautiful. God, I loved her. I just didn't know how to show it, that's all. [pause] I killed her Red. I didn't pull the trigger. But I drove her away. That's why she died, because of me. The way I am.
Red[pause] That don't make you a murderer. A bad husband, maybe. Feel bad about it if you want to, but you didn't pull the trigger.
Andy: No, I didn't. Somebody else did. And I wound up in here. [laughs] Bad luck, I guess.
Red: [sighs] Yeah
Andy: It floats around. It's got to land on somebody. It was my turn, that's all. I was in the path of the tornado. [sighs] I just didn't expect the storm would last as long as it has.
Red:You think you'll ever get out of here?
Red: I don't think you ought to be doing this to yourself, Andy. This is just shitty pipedreams. I mean, Mexico is way the hell down there and you're in here, and that's the way it is.
Andy: Yeah, right. That's the way it is. It's down there and I'm in here. I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

Rehabilitation Officer: Ellis Boyd Redding: your file says you've served 40 years of a life sentence. Do you feel you've been rehabilitated?
Red: Rehabilitated?... Well, now, let me see. You know, I don't have any idea what that means.
Rehabilitation Officer: Well, it means that you're ready to rejoin society, to—
Red: I know what you think it means, sonny. To me it's just a made-up word. A politician's word, so that young fellas like yourself can wear a suit and a tie and have a job. What do you really wanna know? Am I sorry for what I did?
Rehabilitation Officer: Well, are you?
Red: There's not a day goes by that I don't feel regret. Not because I'm in here, or because you think I should. I look back on the way I was then: a young, stupid kid who committed that terrible crime. I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone and this old man is all that's left. I gotta live with that. Rehabilitated? It's just a bullshit word. So go ahead and stamp your forms, sonny, and stop wasting my time. Because to tell you the truth, I don't give a shit.-Tim Robbins as Andy,and Morgan Freeman as Red
5. Lord of the Rings- There is some good in the world, Mr. Frodo(The tales that mattered)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soe8ayi3ScE-
[Frodo attacks Sam with his sword]
Samwise Gamgee: It's me. It's your Sam. Don't you know your Sam?
[Frodo snaps out of the spell, horrified, and drops his sword]
Frodo Baggins: I can't do this, Sam.
Samwise Gamgee: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo; the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn’t want to know the end... because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was, when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn’t. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
Frodo Baggins: What are we holding on to, Sam?
Samwise Gamgee: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for.

Samwise Gamgee: I wonder if we'll ever be put into songs or tales.
Frodo Baggins: What?
Samwise Gamgee: I wonder if people will ever say, "Let's hear about Frodo and the Ring," and they'll say, "Yes, that's one of my favorite stories." "Frodo was really courageous, wasn't he, Dad?" "Yes, my boy, the most famousest of Hobbits. And that's saying a lot."
Frodo Baggins: You left out one of the chief characters: Samwise the Brave. I want to hear more about Sam. [Frodo stops walking and turns around to face Sam] Frodo wouldn't have got far without Sam.
Samwise Gamgee: Now Mr. Frodo, you shouldn't make fun. I was being serious.
Frodo Baggins: So was I. [walks ahead]
Samwise Gamgee[to himself] Samwise the Brave.- Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee and Elijah Wood as Frodo
4. Pulp Fiction- Ezekiel 25 17- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WK_eWihdU-
  • [to Pumpkin, who Jules calls 'Ringo'] I'm givin' you that money so I don't have to kill your ass. You read the Bible, Ringo? Well, there's this passage I got memorized. Ezekiel 25:17. "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." I been saying that shit for years. And if you heard it, that meant your ass. I never gave much thought to what it meant. I just thought it was some cold-blooded shit to say to a motherfucker before I popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this morning made me think twice. See, now I'm thinking, maybe it means you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. 9 millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could mean you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is, you're the weak, and I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm trying, Ringo. I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.-Samuel L Jackson as Jules Winnfield
3. 300-Final Speech(Call to Battle)- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFOl-QXpLc4-
  • "Remember us." As simple an order as a king can give. "Remember us why we died." For he didn't wish tribute or song. No monuments, no poems of war and valour. His wish was simple: "Remember us," he said to me. That was his hope. Should any free soul come across that place, in all the countless centuries yet to be, may all our voices whisper to you from the ageless stones: Go tell the Spartans, passer-by, that here, by Spartan law, we lie. So my king died and my brothers died... Barely a year ago, long I pondered my king's cryptic talk of victory; time has proven him wise. But from free Greek to free Greek, the word was spread that bold Leonidas and his 300, so far from home, laid down their lives, not just for Sparta, but for all Greece and the promise this country holds. Now, here on this ragged patch of earth called Plataea, Xerxes' hordes face obliteration! Just there the barbarians huddle, sheer terror gripping tight their hearts with icy fingers, knowing full well what merciless horrors they suffered at the swords and spears of 300. Yet they stare now across the plain at 10,000 Spartans commanding 30,000 free Greeks! [Faces the army] Haroo! The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one; good odds for any Greek. This day we rescue a world from mysticism and tyranny, and usher in a future brighter than anything we could imagine. Give thanks, men! To Leonidas, and the brave 300! To victory! David Wenham as Dilios
2. Braveheart- Freedom- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr_OpFxCx-A-
Stephen: The Almighty says this must be a fashionable fight. It's drawn the finest people.
Lochlan: Where is thy salute?
William: For presenting yourselves on this battlefield, I give you thanks.
Lochlan: This is our army. To join it you give homage.
William Wallace: I give homage to Scotland. And if this is your army, why does it go?
Veteran: We didn't come here to fight for them.
Young Soldier: Home! The English are too many!
William Wallace: Sons of Scotland! I am William Wallace.
Young Soldier: William Wallace is seven feet tall!
William Wallace: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if he were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse. [the Scots laugh] I am William Wallace! And I see a whole army of my country men here in defiance of tyranny. You've come to fight as free men, and free men you are. What will you do with that freedom? Will you fight?
Veteran: Fight? Against that? No, we will run. And we will live.
William Wallace: Aye. Fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM! Alba gu brĂ th!-Mel Gibson as Sir William Wallace
1. Independence Day- World Independence Day speech- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoLywiaM6PA-
  • Good morning. [turns on mic] Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world, and you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. Mankind. That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom. Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution… but from annihilation. We're fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice: We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!-Bill Pulman as President Thomas Whitmore
HM-Good Will Hunting-Park speech, Miracle- Pre game speech, and Any Given Sunday-Al Pacino's inspirational speech
(Last eight speeches courtesy of Wikiquote.com)

What do you think of my list? What's yours look like? Comment below and follow me on this blog, Blogbuster411, http://blogbuster411.blogspot.com/. Bookmark this page as well.

The Film Scientist

2 comments:

  1. Hi! You have a really great site! I'm glad to have stumbled upon it! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link. Thanks and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comment Madison. What link would you like m,e to make?

      Delete